Monday, 6 September 2010

Come on Kindle, light my fire....




So in previous posts I have extolled the virtues of reading books as God first thought them out i.e. ink on paper and for all intents and purposes I don't think you can go past the whole book reading experience smells and all.  However, books cost money, and in New Zealand books are unbelievably expensive and I'm not as down with that as I once was - even going to the second hand book shop isn't as fun as it once was.  Truth is mostly it because I found a lovely little file sharing site which allows me to download whole series of books in pdf form, in very quick fashion for nothing.  Nada all free.   I am so, so okay with this - and as B said why don't you go to the library - trouble is they often don't have what I want, or if they do I have to wait for it, and the truth is I am a voracious reader.  I read a lot, in the last few months I have read 49 books (which reminds me need to update the list), which, if I had to pay for would have chewed into my budget a fair whack.  I have read them on my mac baby which I love, but lugging it around and reading at the bus stop or on the bus is less than thrilling or really practicable.   Which leads me to thinking that it might be time to invest in a kindle that will allow me to read my pdf's where and when I want.  

I think I may be being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of the kindle, sigh. Sob - Santa can I have one for christmas?  Or even as a pre christmas taster?

S.

1 comment:

Sphenodon said...

I was pissing around with one of the new ones (3g+wifi) it seems ok. My issue with torrent book sites is that the return to authors from the publishing industry is fuck all. poss worse than from a major record label (there's links out there for that). so even downloading ebook versions at minimal cost, will return something to the author. but in principle I agree the books industry has to undergo a revolution, in much the same way the music industry has started. although interestingly the books industry are more aware of this and are actively looking for change, unlike the big 3(?4) music publishers who were doing everythey could to hold onto power.