Saturday, 5 December 2009

Check it out - I has been struck down by the domestic goddess syndrome


Just so you dont think i have fallen quite off the earth - although I have found myself in small secular community - apparently a lot of BNP supporters in this part the world.  I have also found a side of me that quite enjoys making stuff and since I have naught but time on my hands I thought I would share with you.  In the past month I have made apple and hawthorne jelly, hawsin dipping sauce, slow-roast tomato sauce and apple and pepper chutney.  I might mention B has been productive too he has made his world famous christmas puddings - which we are sharing for the lucky few.  I also put away sloe gin and raspberry gin yesterday into the dark cool cupboard to steep.  I have been productive.  I foraged for the Hawthornes and Sloes btw.



Apple and Hawthorne Jelly

1.5 pounds of Hawthorne berries washed and dry
4 windfall apples
2 litres of water
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pound of sugar

Put Hawthorne berries, apples and water into large pot and boil for an hour. Mash the pulp every 15 minutes or so.



Strain the pulp, letting the juice run through muslin cloth or old clean teatowel. Add lemon juice and sugar.  Bring up to a rolling boil for approximately 15 minutes.  Put into sterile jars - voila makes around three jars of yummy jam.



The apples contain the missing pectin - although to be fair I think the berries probably had a reasonable amount in them.  Will put up other recipes at a later date.

S.


No comments: