Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Oh, the places you'll go - Dr. Suess



As part of my New Year's only resolution, to blog about a book each day,  I think I should tell you about books that matter, books that you should read, that your child should read and this is one of them.   Dr.  Suess books matter.  My daughter had as many Dr. Suess books as I could find and afford.  "Oh, the places you'll go" reads as well to an adult as it does to a child.  I love the rhythm, rhyme and intonation found here and in all Dr Suess books.  I love this book of all the Dr Suess books.

Congratulations!
Today is your day!
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!


You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
in any direction you choose.
You are on your own.  You know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

What's not to love about a book that advocates self confidence and taking responsibility for ourselves and our own actions?  It also talks about when we fail - because we will and do - to pick yourself up and keep going.  It talks about the negative ruts we get ourselves into and how we get stuck in waiting for the future to get here we forget about the here and now.  I love this book - love it.



Verdict: Read this book.  Read it to your Mum.  Read it to your Dad.  Read it when you're happy.  Read it when you're sad.

S.

No comments: