Sunday, 24 January 2010

The Tooth Files

I have to admit having a sore (and when I say sore think excruciating pain) tooth can put you off doing pretty much everything else.  So I haven't blogged, nor read any books to blog on lately.  Then the pain stopped, cue abscess with fever and accompanying unbelievably fast swelling, making me look like I had a golf ball in the side of my cheek.  Literally pain stopped early Monday morning and by Tuesday afternoon when I saw the Dentist the swelling had gone from little or none to this large swollen gum and gland.  The lovely Polish dentist shot me full of drugs, drained it and prescribed me heavy duty antibiotics.   God Bless that woman - the swelling has gone down a lot - I don't look like a chipmunk.

Unreal.   I think it was the combination of me taking Nurofen and Panadol (a lot of it as my tooth hurt unbelievably) - downside to this is they also counteracted my immune systems own way of dealing with the cavity.  So when I ran out of Nurofen on Sunday and stopped taking the Panadol (cause I was concerned about the level my liver was processing) my immune system went a bit nuts and attacked the infection.

So feeling better this weekend - swelling hasn't fully gone away yet but haven't finished the course of antibiotics yet.    Off to the dentist again next week to get the tooth sorted out.

Am reading Shattered by Mavis March - is interesting as the autobiographical story of how their family coped when their son suffered a serious head injury and was deemed to be a vegetable by the medical fraternity.

S.

No comments: