Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Word to the wise

If you are a microbiologist or evolutionary biologist don't read Virolution by Frank Ryan.  It's pop science repetitive vomit.  If you have had any sort of genetics learning it becomes very boring very quickly.  Pity because I thought it would be good.  Now Im not a great decryer of pop science - I just like well written science books that dont read like a massive ego boost on the authors behalf.   For a really cool pop science book on microbiology read these books - I have read them and they are good.  Yes I am a scientist - so you know they're good.  The bold ones are written by author's I just could kiss - they are just that good.

10 Good popular science books (emphasis on the micro side)
  1. The Coming Plague - Laurie Garrett (Awesome book - been out a while but still very, very good.  It is on the long side but dont let that stop you very good book)
  2. Parasite Rex - Carl Zimmer (one of my favourite pop sci books - really well written and the parasites are just cool)
  3. The Seven Daughters of Eve - Bryan Sykes
  4. Stiff - Mary Roach
  5. The Doctor's Plague - Sherwin B. Nuland
  6. Plague's Progress - Arno Karlen
  7. Viruses vs Superbugs - Thomas Hausler
  8. Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond
  9. The Hot Zone - Richard Preston ( Very, very interesting book)
  10. The Dark Lady of DNA - Brenda Maddox
There are more - I just have to remember which ones I have read - there is a really good one about antibiotics whose name escapes me.  I will return :)

S.

No comments: